The application deadline for the BC TEAL/TESOL Award is November 1st of each year. Successful applicants will be notified within six weeks of the application deadline.
The BC TEAL/TESOL Award was established by BC TEAL and TESOL in 1992 to commemorate the first TESOL Convention held in Vancouver, Canada in 1992.
The BC TEAL/TESOL Award is for a graduate student attending a university in British Columbia and studying in the field of TESL/TESOL, Applied Linguistics, or a related graduate program. It is also available to a graduate or undergraduate student to cover travel and/or accommodation costs for attending or participating in a provincial, national or international English language conference. The scholarship is valued up to $1,000.
The scholarship cannot be used to fund a previously attended conference or convention.
Applicants are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Membership in good standing of BC TEAL or a TESOL affiliate
- Documentation of service to a local/provincial TESOL/TEAL association of affiliate
Applications must be submitted prior to the conference/convention.
Applicants are required to submit:
- A completed application form by November 1st
- A letter describing:
a. A history of service to the local/provincial association or affiliate
b. The need for financial assistance for travel to the annual conference/convention
c. The extent to which attendance at an annual conference/convention will benefit the local/provincial ESL/EFL community
- A letter of recommendation from an administrator or colleague
Disbursement of Funds
Within one year, the recipient is required to complete the following before disbursement of funds:
- Give a presentation at a BC TEAL Conference or submit an article for the BC TEAL Newsletter or a provincial or national journal or by making your results available online
- Submit receipts for expenses incurred to the BC TEAL office for reimbursement
Applications for the BC TEAL/TESOL Award must be submitted by November 1st.
Completed online applications will be submitted directly to the TCF at BC TEAL. If, however, you were unable to upload or copy and paste any required document(s) into this form, please email the document(s) to email@example.com. On your email with the documents, include your name and the line, ‘BC TEAL/TESOL Award Application documentation.’
The TCF is committed to accessibility. If you are unable to complete the online application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help.