The application deadline for the David Lam/BC TEAL English Language Learner Scholarship is January 31st of each year. Successful applicants will be notified within six weeks of the application deadline.
David Lam/BC TEAL English Language Learner Scholarship was established by the TEAL Charitable Foundation to honour David C. Lam, the 25th Lieutenant-Governor of British Columbia. During his lifetime, David C. Lam was respected for his commitment to excellence and public service. The TEAL Charitable Foundation honours his contributions to British Columbia through the David Lam/BC TEAL English Language Learner Scholarship.
The Scholarship is valued at up to $3,000. It recognizes an English language learner graduating from a BC secondary school who has combined academic competence with school and community service, and who wishes to further his/her education at a post-secondary institution in British Columbia.
Please note that applicants for the David Lam/BC TEAL English Language Learner Scholarship must be documented permanent residents or citizens of Canada. International students on student visas are not eligible for this award.
Applicants are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Must be a BC Grade 12 student who wishes to attend a BC post-secondary institution
- Documented English language coursework at the secondary level (Grades 9 to 12)
- Consistent improvement in academic courses at the secondary level
- Documented school or community service
Applicants are required to submit:
- A short description of the applicant’s life before coming to Canada
- A personal essay (original copy signed by the applicant):
a. Two pages in length, double-spaced, approximately 500 words
b. Topic: How a post-secondary education will enable the applicant to make a positive contribution to Canadian society
- Two letters of reference:
a. One from a teacher regarding academic performance
b. One from an administrator, counsellor, coach, sponsor, or coordinator regarding service to others
- Documented proof of permanent residency or Canadian citizenship
- Grade 9 to 11 transcripts, including all English language coursework
- Grade 12 transcripts to date
- Completed application and supporting documents. Click here to download the David Lam/BC TEAL English Language Learner Scholarship.
Disbursement of Funds
Funds will be disbursed as follows:
- The recipient is expected to commence post-secondary education within one year of receiving the scholarship.
- The recipient must submit registration receipts from a BC post-secondary institution prior to the disbursement of funds.
- Disbursements will only be made after the institution’s deadline date for withdrawal from the program.
Applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you prefer to send your application by mail, it should be postmarked on or before the deadline and sent to:
TEAL Charitable Foundation
Attention: David Lam/BC TEAL English Language Learner Scholarship
#206 – 640 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1G4