The application deadline for the David Lam/BC TEAL English Language Learner Scholarship is January 31st of each year. Successful applicants will be notified within six weeks of the application deadline.
David Lam/BC TEAL English Language Learner Scholarship was established by the TEAL Charitable Foundation to honour David C. Lam, the 25th Lieutenant-Governor of British Columbia. During his lifetime, David C. Lam was respected for his commitment to excellence and public service. The TEAL Charitable Foundation honours his contributions to British Columbia through the David Lam/BC TEAL English Language Learner Scholarship.
The scholarship is valued at up to $3,000. It recognizes an English language learner graduating from a BC secondary school who has combined academic competence with school and community service, and who wishes to further his/her education at a post-secondary institution in British Columbia.
Please note that applicants for the David Lam/BC TEAL English Language Learner Scholarship must be documented permanent residents or citizens of Canada. International students on student visas are not eligible for this award.
Applicants are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Must be a BC Grade 12 student who wishes to attend a BC post-secondary institution
- Documented courses in English as an additional language at the secondary level (Grades 9 to 12)
- Consistent improvement in academic courses at the secondary level
- Documented school or community service
Applicants are required to submit:
- A short description of the applicant’s life before and after coming to Canada
- A personal essay (original copy signed by the applicant):
a. Two pages in length, double-spaced, approximately 500 words
b. Please consider the following questions in your essay. How will having a post-secondary education make a difference in your life? How will the post-secondary education help you contribute to Canadian society?
- Two letters of reference:
a. One from a teacher regarding academic performance
b. One from an administrator, counsellor, coach, sponsor, or coordinator regarding service to others
- Documented proof of permanent residency or Canadian citizenship
- Grade 9 to 11 transcripts, including all English language coursework
- Grade 12 transcripts to date
- Completed application form by January 31st
Disbursement of Funds
Funds will be disbursed as follows:
- The recipient is expected to commence post-secondary education within one year of receiving the scholarship.
- The recipient must submit registration receipts from a BC post-secondary institution prior to the disbursement of funds.
- Disbursements will only be made after the institution’s deadline date for withdrawal from the program.
Applications for the David C. Lam/BC TEAL ELL Scholarship Award must be submitted by January 31st.
Completed online applications will be submitted directly to the TCF at BC TEAL. If, however, you were unable to upload or copy and paste any required document(s) into this form, please email the document(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org. On your email with the documents, include your name and the line, ‘David C. Lam/BC TEAL ELL Scholarship Award Application documentation.’
The TCF is committed to accessibility. If you are unable to complete the online application, please contact email@example.com for help.