The application deadline for the Health Education Award is November 1st of each year. Successful applicants will be notified within six weeks of the application deadline.
The Health Education Award was established in 1992 to promote AIDS and health education through content-based English language instruction. The award was established by the TEAL Charitable Foundation with the financial support of TESOL. It is valued at up to $4,000 per year.
The award is open to:
- Educators promoting health education instruction that meets the needs of English language learners, their family members, and their communities
- Material writers developing health education materials designed to meet the needs of, and be available to, a wide range of people
- Organizations willing to sponsor or co-sponsor activities dedicated to health education in the English language community
Application Criteria for the Health Education Award
Applicants will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Personal/professional reasons and goals for promoting health education
- Background and professional qualifications for carrying out the project
- Degree of collaboration with organizations and agencies to advance these goals
- Extent to which the information from the project will reach a wide range of people in the local community/province/country
- Preference will be given to applicants who are BC TEAL members in good standing at the time of application
Applicants are required to submit:
- A completed application form by November 1st
- A complete description of the goals and rationale for the project and use of funds
- A timeline for completion
- A budget specifying anticipated expenses
- A review of research or a record of practical experience to support the project or use of funds
- Reference letters from related agencies or potential beneficiaries of the project or use of funds
Disbursement of Funds
Within one year, the recipient is required to complete the following before disbursement of funds:
- Give a presentation at a BC TEAL Conference or submit an article for the BC TEAL Newsletter or a provincial or national journal or by making your results available online.
- Submit receipts for expenses incurred to the BC TEAL office for reimbursement.
Applications for the Health Education Award must be submitted by November 1st.
Completed online applications will be submitted directly to the TCF at BC TEAL. If, however, you were unable to upload or copy and paste any required document(s) into this form, please email the document(s) to email@example.com. On your email with the documents, include your name and the line, ‘Health Education Award Application documentation.’
The TCF is committed to accessibility. If you are unable to complete the online application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help.