The deadline for the Nan Poliakoff Memorial Award is November 1st of each year. Successful applicants will be notified within six weeks of the application deadline.
The Nan Poliakoff Memorial Award was established in 1998 by her family, colleagues and friends. The award commemorates Nan’s passionate commitment to excellence and her many contributions to the English language profession in British Columbia. The award provides funding to support professional development for an English language educator in British Columbia.
The award is valued at up to $1,000. In order to ensure the award goes where it is most needed, applicants will be required to disclose other sources of funding, potential or secured.
The award may be used for the following activities:
- Participation in English language educational workshops or courses
- Registration fees or travel costs to attend or present at an English language conference
- English language educational materials development or publications
Applicants will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- English language professional experience
- Service to the English language community and a member of BC TEAL in good standing
- Special consideration will be given to applicants interested in testing, teacher education, or the teaching of writing
- Special consideration will be given to applicants applying to attend a conference to present a paper or participate in a panel discussion or symposium
Applicants are required to submit:
- A curriculum vitae specifying English language professional experience and university studies
- A detailed application letter outlining reasons for applying for the award
- Two letters of reference attesting to the value of the proposed activity for the applicant and the profession
Disbursement of Funds
Within one year, the recipient is required to complete the following before disbursement of funds:
- Give a presentation at a BC TEAL Conference or submit an article for the BC TEAL Newsletter.
- Submit receipts for expenses incurred to the BC TEAL office for reimbursement.
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com. If you prefer to send your application by mail, it should be postmarked on or before the deadline and sent to:
TEAL Charitable Foundation
Attention: Nan Poliakoff Memorial Award
#206 – 640 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1G4