The application deadline for the Nicholas Collins Founders Refugee Award is January 31st of each year. Successful applicants will be notified within six weeks of the application deadline.
The Nicholas Collins Founders Refugee Award is awarded to a refugee who has shown courage and determination while adapting to a new language and culture in Canada. It is valued at $3,000.
The Nicholas Collins Founders Refugee Award recognizes a student who:
- Entered Canada as a refugee
- Completed Grade 12 or the equivalent in British Columbia
- Studied English as an additional language since arriving in Canada
- Wishes to study in a vocational or academic program at a post-secondary institution in British Columbia
Applicants will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Must be a Grade 12 or equivalent graduate who wishes to study at a post-secondary institution in British Columbia
- Documented English language coursework at the secondary level in British Columbia
- Documented school and/or community volunteer service
Applicants for the Nicholas Collins Founders Refugee Award are required to submit:
- A written description of the applicant’s life before and after coming to Canada. The description must be approximately 500 words in length and double-spaced.
- A personal essay with the original copy signed by the applicant. The essay must be two pages in length, double-spaced and approximately 500 words in length. The applicant needs to address the following questions in his or her personal essay. i] How will having a post-secondary education make a difference in the applicant’s life. ii] What post-secondary program is the applicant planning to enter and why. iii] How will a post-secondary education help the applicant contribute to Canadian society.
- Two letters of reference:
i] One from a teacher regarding the applicant’s academic performance
ii] One from an administrator, counselor, coach, sponsor, or coordinator regarding the applicant’s school or community volunteer service
- Documented proof of permanent residency or Canadian citizenship
- Transcripts documenting English language coursework or equivalent
- Completed application and supporting documents. Click here to download the Nicholas Collins Founders Refugee Award Application Form
Disbursement of Funds
Funds will be disbursed as follows:
i] The recipient is expected to commence post-secondary education within one year of receiving the award.
ii] The recipient must submit registration receipts from a BC post-secondary institution prior to the disbursement of funds.
iii] Disbursements will only be made after the institution’s deadline date for withdrawal from the program.
Applications for the Nicholas Collins Founders Refugee Award must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 31st. If the application is mailed, it should be postmarked on or before the deadline and mailed to:
TEAL Charitable Foundation
Attention: TCF Refugee Award
#206 – 640 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1G4