The deadline for the Pat Wakefiled Scholarship is November 1st of each year. Successful applicants will be notified within six weeks of the application deadline.
The Pat Wakefield Scholarship was established in 1985 by BC TEAL, in cooperation with the British Council. The purpose of the award is to honour Pat Wakefield for her leadership and commitment to the field of English language education in British Columbia and Canada. The scholarship will be awarded to an English language educator who wishes to travel to a Commonwealth country for professional development or research in the field of EAL/ESL. The scholarship funds will cover travel costs and /or accommodation up to $3,000.
The scholarship cannot be used to fund professional development or research already completed.
Applicants are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Long-term and distinguished service in the field of English language education in British Columbia and/or Canada
- Membership in good standing of BC TEAL at the time of application
Applicants are required to submit:
- A curriculum vitae specifying experience in the English language profession and university studies
- A letter of application, along with a list of educators and educational institutions the applicant wishes to visit in the Commonwealth country chosen
- Two letters of reference attesting to the value of the proposed research or professional development for the applicant and the English language profession
Disbursement of Funds
Within one year, the recipient is required to complete the following before disbursement of funds:
- Give a presentation at a BC TEAL Conference or submit an article for the BC TEAL Newsletter.
- Submit receipts for expenses incurred to the BC TEAL office for reimbursement.
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com. If you prefer to send your application by mail, it should be postmarked on or before the deadline and sent to:
TEAL Charitable Foundation
Attention: Pat Wakefield Scholarship
#206 – 640 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1G4