The application deadline for the Taiga Galli Memorial Refugee Award is January 31st of each year. Successful applicants will be notified within six weeks of the application deadline.
The Taiga Galli Memorial Refugee Award is for a refugee who has shown courage and determination while adapting to a new language and culture in Canada. It is valued at $3,000.
The Taiga Galli Memorial Refugee Award recognizes a student who:
- Entered Canada as a refugee
- Completed Grade 12 or the equivalent
- Studied English as an additional language since arriving in Canada
- Wishes to study in a vocational or academic program at a post-secondary institution in British Columbia
Applicants will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Must be a Grade 12 or equivalent graduate who wishes to attend a BC post-secondary institution
- Documented English language coursework at the secondary level
- Documented school or community volunteer service
Applicants are required to submit:
- A description of the applicant’s life before and after coming to Canada
a. Two pages in length, double-spaced, approximately 500 words
- A personal essay (original copy signed by the applicant)
a. Topic: How a post-secondary education will enable the applicant to contribute to Canadian society. Please consider the following questions in your essay. How will having a post-secondary education make a difference in your life? How will the post-secondary education help you contribute to Canadian society?
b. Two pages in length, double-spaced, approximately 500 words
- Two letters of reference:
a. One from a teacher regarding academic performance
b. One from an administrator, counsellor, coach, sponsor, or coordinator regarding school or community volunteer service
- Documented proof of permanent residency or Canadian citizenship
- Transcripts documenting English language coursework or equivalent
- Completed application and supporting documents. Click here to download the Taiga Galli Memorial Refugee Award Application Form
Disbursement of Funds
Funds will be disbursed as follows:
- The recipient is expected to commence post-secondary education within one year of receiving the award.
- The recipient must submit registration receipts from a BC post-secondary institution prior to the disbursement of funds.
- Disbursements will only be made after the institution’s deadline date for withdrawal from the program.
Applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you prefer to send your application by mail, it should be postmarked on or before the deadline and sent to:
TEAL Charitable Foundation
Attention: Taiga Galli Memorial Refugee Award
#206 – 640 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1G4