This event is past
This 3-part online interactive workshop is for language teachers who would like to explore the benefits and possibilities of incorporating film in the language classroom. The sessions will take place over three Saturdays: February 27th, March 6th, and March 13th, from 10:30 am-12 pm (PST) via Zoom. There will also be an Edmodo classroom (online learning portal) where participants will be able to access resources such as handouts and links as well as contribute to discussions.
For people who are looking for:
- possibilities to incorporate film into classes
- an exploration of the benefits of film for language learners
- a community of practice to share film resources
In this workshop, we will:
- Practice active viewing, focusing on multiple modes and reflect on this experience and its implications for teaching.
- Examine the transferable skills of visual and traditional literacy by considering the similarities and differences of literary and cinematic techniques while discovering ways that we can use our experience, knowledge and teaching practices when teaching new forms of literacy.
- Examine simple frameworks that outline stages of basic film production and explore ideas for student-created media projects/visual storytelling.
Your Program Leader:
Kate Steckmest was born and raised in Washington State and has lived in many places around the world. Her roles directing and co-leading international programs and teaching languages (Spanish and English) have taken her to Central and South America, Europe and Oceania.
She holds two BAs, one in International Development Studies and another in Spanish as well as a CELTA through Cambridge English and she is currently working towards her Master of Arts in TESOL at SIT Graduate Institute.
Kate recently returned to the Pacific Northwest and is happy to call Vancouver, B.C. home. She is an EAL Instructor, specializing in Business English and EAP. She is a member of BC TEAL’s Private Sector Committee and volunteers working with newcomers through MOSAIC and as a copy editor for Vancouver Latin American Cultural Centre.
In her free time, she enjoys studying and learning Italian, exploring Vancouver by bike, and staying in touch with her friends and family around the world.
Cost: $100 (+GST)
Participants: Maximum 15
All those who successfully complete the program will receive a Certificate of Participation
Please contact email@example.com if the cost is a barrier to your participation.
You can register directly here or click on the buttons below.