Michael Galli has had a storied career in EAL in British Columbia. Upon coming to BC in in 2005, he quickly became involved with BC TEAL. Prior to moving to BC, he was involved in teaching EAP for approximately 15 years in Ontario.
With BC TEAL, he served as Secretary (2006-2007), President (2007-2012), and then past-present (2012-2016). 10 years of service on a board of directors in leadership positions is a phenomenal commitment. It speaks to his genuine commitment to the EAL profession in British Columbia and desire to help professionalize it and make the association relevant to members.
During his tenure on the board, the BC TEAL finances, scope of activities, relevance, website and social media presence and so many aspects of TEAL’s operations bettered dramatically. His accomplishments were widespread and a sampling includes:
- leading BC TEAL through a period of significant growth
- bringing PD around the province with aspects such as regional conferences
- bringing the TESL 2012 conference to BC as the then BC representative on the TESL Canada board
- supporting and advocating for the establishment of the BC TEAL Refugee Award and the Taiga Galli Memorial Refugee Award
- leading TCF fundraising events including the Grouse Grind Climb for a Cause and the Tears to Smiles Wine and Cheese events
- heading the update of the BC TEAL bylaws
- leading inter-provincial cooperation
These are merely a sampling of the things he has accomplished. More importantly perhaps was his spirit and energy as a champion for BC TEAL over many years.