Achēv is seeking two (2) experienced Courseware Writers who will join a
dispersed writing team from across Canada in February 2022.
Position to be filled: Courseware Writer (2 positions available)
Location: Remote work
Achēv is a leading provider of programs and services focused on delivering the maximum social impact from the funds we receive. We work with individuals seeking employment, employers, youth, newcomer and language services. As a not-for-profit, community-based organization, Achēv connects people to opportunities that help them achieve their full potential. With locations across the Greater Toronto Area, Achēv provides the highest-quality programs and personalized services to over 100,000 people each year.
The National LINC Online Curriculum and Online PBLA Project is owned by Achēv and funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to develop Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) online courseware for Canadian Language Benchmark levels 3 to 5.
Scope of the Project Work
The project will be carried until March 2025. The successful candidate will be required to enter into an independent service agreement (ISA) which outlines intellectual property, confidentiality and other provisions as required for this work. The ISA will be issued for 6-month periods with each extension granted based on Achēv’s satisfaction of work performed.
The Courseware Writer Position
Working remotely, the Courseware Writers will work closely with the Project Manager, Writing Lead, Writing Content Reviewers, eLearning Coordinator, Graphic Designer and Moodle Developer, to develop approximately 690 hours of Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) online courseware for Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) levels 3-5 across all skill areas (L/S/R/W).
The role will:
- Design and develop online courseware that is aligned with the Canadian LanguageBenchmarks and the Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) practices and principles.
- Develop training resources to support piloting and implementation of courseware.
- Follow guidelines and processes to support quality control, reporting, file-management and workflow.
- Contribute to task planning, process enhancements and testing of courseware.
- Participate in training and project meetings as needed. Weekly team meetings currently take place on Wednesdays from 2:30-3:30 pm ET.
- Complete other role-related duties as needed.
Required Qualifications (2 positions available)
- Must have a bachelor’s degree preferably in Education, English or Adult Learning, or related experience and education.
- Must have a TESL certificate from a TESL program recognized by TESL Canada or TESL Ontario.
- Must have excellent knowledge of Canadian Language Benchmarks for task-based curriculum planning, instruction and assessment.
- Prior completion of the CCLB Bootcamp is mandatory.
- Must have strong familiarity with PBLA.
- Experience writing LINC/ESL courseware content is mandatory.
- Knowledge and understanding of adult learning principles.
- Expertise in writing for a digital medium (storyboards, scenarios, audio/video scripts, online assessments).
- Attention to detail is a mandatory and critical skill.
- Ability to follow guidelines and procedures for standardized outputs.
- Ability to be flexible, meet tight deadlines and report on the status of work when requested.
- Ability to work on a virtual team with limited supervision.
- Knowledge of settlement issues and familiarity with language instruction resources for newcomers to Canada.
- Must have strong computer skills and aptitude to learn new technologies (file management systems, Google suite, MS Office, etc.)
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Experience with eLearning authoring tools and Learning Management Systems is an asset.
$45.00 hourly rate plus taxes where applicable. No additional expenses will be reimbursed.
How to Apply
If you want to find out more about this position and how to apply, review the application process at https://bit.ly/31wkfP9
The deadline to submit your application is January 14, 2022.
We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted.