UFV’s TESL Certificate needs sponsor teachers as a requirement of TESL Canada’s Professional Certificate: Standard Two. A supervised practicum of a minimum of 50 hours (30 hours of observation and 20 hours of teaching) under the supervision of an instructor certified at a minimum of TESL Canada Professional Certificate: Standard One, Two, or Three with at least 2,000 hours of adult ESL/EFL classroom experience or equivalent).
The practicum placements usually take place over 6-8 weeks (at mutually convenient times).
We’ve streamlined the process for you. All student learning tasks have been fully prepared by us. You’ll need to:
- Communicate with us if you have questions or concerns
- Initial the students’ log record to ensure they have the required hours
- Discuss (10-15 minutes) and initial the 5 Observation Tasks the student is required to complete
- Communicate with the student about possible teaching tasks that are appropriate for you learners
- Complete a practicum evaluation checklist halfway through the practicum
- Invite us into the class for the students’ final observation/evaluation (you’re not required to attend)
Benefits of being a sponsor teacher:
- Enhancing your own coaching, mentoring and leadership skills
- Bringing new, dynamic energy into your class to support students
- Giving back to your profession
- A $300 honorarium (taxed)
Please contact to discuss:
Tanis Sawkins tanis.sawkins@UFV.ca or Amea Wilbur amea.wilbur@UFV.ca