Position Title: Facilitator – LINC Engage
Posting Number: 01526SA
Location: See Work Arrangements
Grade or Pay Level: –
Salary Range: TBD
Position Type: Training Group Contract Employment
Posting Type: Internal/External
Employment Type: Full-Time
Posting Category: Training Group
Start Date: 08/01/2022
End Date: 07/31/2023
Day of the Week: Mondays to Fridays
Shift: See Work Arrangements
Work Arrangements: 28 hours per week between Monday to Friday (8:30 to 5:00). Schedule dependent on project planning and co-facilitator hours.
Location: Surrey Training Center: 13769 104 Avenue and New Westminster Campus: 700 Royal Avenue
What Douglas Offers
Do what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.
Using a participant-centred approach, the LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) Engage Facilitator provides curriculum & materials design/development and implementation in a creative project-focused 20-week program for youth within a settlement and workplace integration context using Portfolio Based Language Assessments (PBLA).
The LINC Engage Facilitator will work closely with an internal team in the Training Group as well as external subject matter experts to assist and support essential skills awareness, workplace focused language development and wrap-around settlement support through small group facilitation and one-to-one coaching.
The LINC Engage Facilitator must be familiar with non-traditional pathways to post-secondary and be resourceful in supporting participants.
- Assist with focus groups, program marketing, participant recruitment, and research components;
- Develop and implement youth appropriate curriculum for workplace focused LINC 4 in a settlement and workplace integration context that aligns with the full range of activities of the 20-week project;
- Develop class materials to facilitate adult English Language Services based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks Level 4 that align with the full range of activities of the 20-week project;
- Anticipate and respond to emerging language needs as the creative project develops;
- Prepare and integrate Portfolio Based Language Assessments (PBLA) into curriculum that align with the full range of activities of the 20-week project;
- Monitor and document student progress and perform on-going assessments based on PBLA;
- Identify and contribute to PBLA materials collection stored as per Douglas College Records Information Management (RIM) requirements;
- Collaborate with CCSP and facilitation team to create a calendar of events and activities, including organizing field trips, guest speakers and consultations with project experts;
- Maintain participant progress records adhering to privacy requirements;
- Contribute to quarterly and annual reporting as required.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- Undergraduate degree and Teaching English as a Second Language qualifications equivalent to TESL Canada standard 1;
- Classroom experience, including PBLA-based settlement curriculum and assessments;
- Experience working with vulnerable immigrant and refugee youth;
- Affinity with creative projects and knowledge of the arts and creative industries an asset;
- Working knowledge and experience in career planning, job search, job readiness training with a solid understanding of Essential Skills;
- Knowledge of local labour market and community employment related resources;
- Knowledge of local post-secondary institutions, pathways, and programs
- Strong computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office applications;
- Strong organizational skills and solid classroom management skills;
- Demonstrated ability in identifying and addressing client needs;
- Proven ability to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team with capacity to take initiative and easily adapt to change;
- Strong interpersonal and exceptional communication (verbal and written) skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds; sensitivity to and understanding of the needs of newcomers to Canada; awareness of trauma-informed approaches to settlement;
- Demonstrated ability to build successful teams in the classroom;
- A vehicle and valid B.C. Driver’s license or reliable alternative transportation;
Equity Statement: Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check: Yes
Posting Detail Information :
Open Date: 07/06/2022
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant: Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online.
Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting: https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/9383
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you currently have a valid Canadian work permit?
- Not Applicable
- * If you have a valid Canadian work permit, please indicate expiry date and the type of work permit you hold. (Type N/A if not applicable).(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you first find out about this employment opportunity?Douglas College Careers Site
- Social Media (Facebook, Instagram)
- Personal Referral
- Agency Referral
- Professional Association Website
- Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICAN)
- Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT)
- Douglas College CareerHUB
- Career Fair or Other Hiring Event
- BC TEAL
- * Please confirm that you will maintain residency in the Lower Mainland for the duration of your employment.
- Yes, I confirm
- No, I am not able to meet this requirement
- * Are you a current or former Douglas College employee/student?Current employee
- Former employee
- Current student
- Former student
- None of the above
- * If you are a current/former employee/student, enter your ID number. (Type in N/A if not applicable.)(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- References with Contact Information