We are seeking a Read With Kids (RWK) Coordinator who will be responsible for all aspects of the RWK program in the 2021-2022 year. The RWK initiative consists of 1 hour presentations/workshops that promote literacy and show parents and caregivers how to encourage children (0-18) to read.
Learn more about READ Surrey/White Rock at https://readsurreywhiterock.com
Position: Read With Kids Coordinator
Location: Surrey & White Rock
Term: contract, 6-9 months, ~20 hours/month
Rate: $25-$28/hour based on qualification and experience
Start Date: September 20, 2021
We are seeking a Read With Kids (RWK) Coordinator who will be responsible for all aspects of the RWK program in the 2021-2022 year. This includes planning, promoting, managing, and delivering the program throughout Surrey and White Rock. The RWK initiative consists of 1 hour presentations/workshops that promote literacy and show parents and caregivers how to encourage children (0-18) to read. The RWK Coordinator has input on selecting target audiences.
- The RWK Coordinator reports to the READ Surrey/White Rock Society, Literacy Outreach Coordinator.
- The RWK Coordinator is responsible to the Surrey/White Rock Literacy Task Group.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Promote and book workshops with service providers.
- Buy / prepare all materials including books, bookmarks, and handouts.
- Deliver the workshop in person or virtually.
- Deliver books to workshop participants as required.
- Keep records and document participation statistics.
- Track all spending and overall budget.
- Report on work regularly.
Completion of a certificate or diploma in education/literacy, office administration, business or related discipline supplemented by a minimum of one (1) year of related experience preferably in a related social service field, OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the contract holder.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong skills in coordinating and facilitating group sessions.
- Strong project planning, development, and coordination skills.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively and courteously with clientele, including those who are from differing cultural, linguistic, and other backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to manage time and resources effectively, ability to work independently.
- Able to use office computer programs including word processing, spreadsheets, and slide presentations.
- Possession of, and the ability to maintain, a clear provincial vulnerable sector criminal record check.
- Experience with online project delivery including Zoom, Microsoft Teams, or other approved platforms.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds.
This position is based in Surrey/White Rock with frequent travel required through the Surrey/White Rock area. Workshops may be delivered in person or virtually depending on the host’s preference and current public health orders. All work will conform to current provincial health orders and organizational COVID protocols.
Most workshops will be presented during regular working hours. Some evening and weekend appointments may be necessary. The RWK coordinator will have the freedom to schedule their own hours as long as the program needs are met.
The successful candidate will supply their own office, phone, telecommunications.
A valid driver’s license and a vehicle that can accommodate boxes of books is required.
Preference given to applicants who live in / are familiar with the Surrey/White Rock area.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter in one pdf file to : firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: “Read With Kids Coordinator – [your first and last name]”
Closing date: August 27, 2021
We thank all applicants however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.