UPDATE: The position has now been filled.
BC TEAL is looking for an Administrative Manager to start as soon as possible. The BC TEAL Administrative Manager oversees the day-to-day operations and administrative functions of the association, ensuring high levels of organizational effectiveness. The Administrative Manager reports to the BC TEAL Board of Directors and works closely with various board members and other members of the BC TEAL community.
The Administrative Manager provides key administrative support for the BC TEAL association.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Responding in a timely manner to general and membership inquiries;
- Overseeing registration for membership and events (Eventbrite);
- Updating the website (WordPress)
- Coordinating member communication sent through MailChimp;
- Overseeing accounts payable & receivable, and liaising with the bookkeeper;
- Organizing general office procedures;
- Coordinating board meetings including creating and distributing agendas, and taking and posting the minutes;
- Working closely with volunteer board and committee members on various events and initiatives;
- Helping with event planning and coordination (i.e., the annual conference).
- Supporting the TEAL Charitable Foundation (TCF) as required;
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Abilities
- Skilled in MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Demonstrated proficiency in English – IELTS 7.5 or equivalent
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team
- Must have well-developed interpersonal skills to interact professionally and to establish and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to effectively work with and provide information, assistance, and related services to the public, board members, and the membership in a tactful, pleasant, and helpful manner
- Demonstrated ability to be detail oriented, reliable, efficient, and resourceful.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise tact, discretion, confidentiality, and diplomacy
- Requires excellent organizational skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision to meet deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure with a demanding workload, frequent interruptions, and against tight deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exercise good judgment and leadership
Education & Experience
- Some post-secondary education required
- Experience with web-based platforms: including – Mailchimp, Eventbrite, WordPress
- Minimum 3 years of related office experienced
- Experience in a non-profit environment an asset
- Working experience in the EAL sector preferred
Hours and Days of Work:
- Usually 8:30 am – 4:00 pm, 35 hours a week Monday to Friday; however, hours may vary according to the needs of the association, with more hours during busy periods leading up to conferences and special events. Note: due to the ongoing pandemic this position will start at 28 hours a week.
- Candidates must be available for occasional weekend and evening work (i.e., events and conferences), including monthly board meetings (evenings).
- This position can be done remotely with the exception of conferences and face to face meetings. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working alone.
Pay and benefits:
- $23.00/hr to start with opportunities for increase after successful probation period
- 3 weeks vacation leave, extended health benefits and professional development funds
BC TEAL is the oldest EAL professional association in Canada with over 50 years of exceptional leadership in the field of teaching English as an Additional Language. We have a talented and intellectually curious board of directors who work hard to preserve and build upon our unique culture. We want our staff to achieve their full potential, and we are aware that our success as an association depends on our staff having strong and challenging careers they can be proud of. Using our values as our guide, we look to have staff who can make a difference in every interaction they have with our membership, stakeholders, and the communities we serve.
Apply for this job:
To apply, send your resume and cover letter as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Application for the position of Administrative Manager”.
Closing date: Open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Early applications are encouraged.