This message is paid for by Decoda Literacy Solutions. BC TEAL does not necessarily endorse nor promote the service or message therein.
Decoda Literacy Solutions, located in Vancouver, is the only province-wide literacy organization in British Columbia. Providing resources, training and funds, Decoda supports community-based literacy programs and initiatives in over 400 communities across BC.
Decoda publishes The Westcoast Reader (The WCR), in partnership with Camosun College and the BC Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
The Westcoast Reader is a monthly newspaper for learners of all ages, including those wishing to improve their literacy skills, those with English as an Additional Language (EAL) and newcomers to Canada. Each issue includes adapted news and information articles.
The WCR is accompanied by Teachers’ Notes with ready-to-use exercises and learning activities based on the articles in the paper.
The target readability level for The WCR is approximately Canadian Language Benchmarks levels 1 – 5 or under Grade 6.
This trusted learning resource was first published in 1982. It is the only publication of its kind in Canada.
The goals of the WCR are to help learners:
- improve their English literacy and language skills
- gain a wider understanding of Canadian society and culture
We have an opening for a content writer for The Westcoast Reader. This is a half-time position starting September 16, 2019. As a writer, you will work collaboratively with the editors and graphic designer to publish 10 editions of the newspaper. You will also develop and post content for social media and The WCR website.
The successful applicant will:
- Work with The WCR editors to write and publish 10 issues of the newspaper annually
- Create and post social media and website content
- Build and maintain existing partnerships
- Provide outreach to help further the subscription base
- Interact positively with the readership
- Work with partners to develop supplements for the publication
- Work in a consultative, collaborative manner with The WCR editors and Decoda staff
- Attend a monthly meeting to generate story ideas for upcoming issues
- Participate in Decoda staff team meetings
Required Qualifications and experience
- Bachelors Degree
- Teaching experience with adult literacy and English language learners
- Experience writing adapted material for literacy and EAL audiences
- Time management skills
- Strong technology skills – Office, Adobe InDesign, Word Press
- Ability and desire to contribute to a creative and innovative team environment
- Interpersonal skills, ability to solve problems, flexibility and adaptability
- Published writer
- Business experience
- Entrepreneurial spirit
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. The writing sample should include two short articles for The WCR, one written at a low literacy level and another written at a higher level.
The deadline for applications is August 16, 2019.
Public libraries in BC have back copies of The Westcoast Reader. The WCR website is www.thewestcoastreader.com.