This message is paid for by Simon Fraser University’s Associate Vice-President Learning and Teaching. BC TEAL does not necessarily endorse nor promote the service or message therein.
The Associate Director will develop and advance an EAL strategy for SFU, in collaboration with other stakeholders on campus, and build a team to provide language development support. This role is a crucial component of SFU’s commitment to supporting the learning experience of our students, and our commitment to international and multilingual learners. The ideal candidate is a collaborative team-builder with experience in language development and support at the post-secondary level.
- Master’s degree in Education, Linguistics, or a related field, and seven years of experience in educational development, educational research, post-secondary teaching and learning focused on EAL students, the management of educational projects, and administrative management in a teaching and learning centre, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Excellent knowledge of educational theory principles of effective practice in undergraduate and graduate teaching of EAL students; course, curriculum, and program development; and knowledge of effective instructional design using a diversity of delivery modalities appropriate for additional language learners.
- Excellent analytical reasoning, problem solving, time management, strategic planning, project management, supervisory, administrative, and organizational skills.
- Ability to consult on processes to support institutional-level strategic directions and to liaise with and build partnerships across the CEE, other units at SFU (Library, Student Services, Lifelong Learning) and among faculty and staff in different disciplines.
- Excellent cross-disciplinary oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, presentation skills, and business acumen.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to client service and professionalism in consulting with clients, identifying needs, and facilitating solutions.
- Ability to effectively lead and collaborate on cross-functional and multi-disciplinary teams, multitask, establish priorities, and meet deadlines.